Wellington Tourism

Notice
  • Google Geocoding API error: The request was denied.
Tarraville Church

The tiny town of Tarraville, located near Port Albert, is notable for its early wooden Church of England - Christ Church.

The Christ Church is a rectangular timber Gothic Revival which was built in 1856 to a design by J. H. W. Pettit and George Hastings.

It was reputedly the first church in Gippsland and is 'a rare surviving example of drop slab construction' with the building being constructed without the use of nails, and is to be believed the second oldest timber church in Victoria. 

The Church is no longer running regular worship services, but is still available for Special Services such as weddings, funerals and baptisms and with Good Friday services held here each year.


In 2016 Christ Church celebrated 160th Anniversary with a special civic ceremony, a memorabilia display at The Historic Tarraville School House and a service of Evensong conducted by The Right Reverend Kay Goldsworthy Bishop of Gippsland.

Directions: Located approx 15km from Yarram at Tarraville. Access from the A440.
Visit 7 days and open during Church Services 2nd Sunday monthly at 2.00pm

 

Address

  • Street: Old Sale Road
  • City: Tarraville
  • Postcode: 3971
  • State: Victoria
 

On the map

infobottom CALL US: 1300 368 864

 

social in social fb social ta
infobottom CALL US: 1300 368 864

 

social in social fb social ta

Central Gippsland Guide

 

© Copyright 2013 Central Gippsland | All Rights Reserved | Website by Y Media